Sunday 30 August 2015

August wrap - up

I can't believe summer is officially over, but the cozy months are up on us, that's why I won't complain. I'm autumn kid through my bones and love to read at colder months even more. Just imagine warm cup of coffee, woollen blanket and amazing book..pretty picture, right ?
But first, before we get in to September tbr, I should do my August wrap-up. And I have to say, that this month was the best reading month this summer, because I managed to read 8 books. 

I've started August by finishing "The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights"  by Cameron Dokey. One word to describe this book: BORING. I felt like I was reading a textbook. No wonder I gave it just 2 stars out of 5.

Next on my list was "The Devil's Star" by Jo Nesbo. I quite liked what I've read, however it was hard to get in to it and at some points I almost had to force myself to read this book. I think it could have bin a little bit shorter. I gave it 3 stars out of 5

After reading a crime story, I was craving for something light and cute, so I chose "Angels" by Marian Keyes. And I was very disappointed. The main character drove me crazy, the story line was far from cute. I gave it 2 stars out of 5. 

And then the "Bout of books 14" readathon started. During it I read 3 books. Firstly, I've read "The Old Man and the Sea"  by Ernest Hemingway. It was a re-read for me,  and, as I remember, I liked it better the first time I've read it. But now it didn't have that factor, which kept me reading it from first page to the last one. Actually this time I forced my self to read it, maybe because I already knew the story. I gave it 3 stars out of 5. 

The same day I've started "Looking for Alaska" by John Green. That one was a surprise to me, I didn't expect much from it, but I loved it. The story was sad, but cute at the same time, main characters were interesting and diverse and I gave it 5 stars out of 5. 

And the last one that week was the first book of "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. I really liked that, because I like that time period and all those intrigues fascinated me. Off course there were few parts that felt a little bit boring (war scenes), but it wasn't big problem to me, so I gave this book 4 stars out of 5.

After the readathon ended I felt a little bit burned out of reading, but still managed to read two more books. One of them was children book in Norwegian. As I'm trying to learn this language, I thought, that reading books in Norwegian will help me. And it actually did. That books is "Spøkelses hotellet" by Arne Svingen. I really liked it, however, as it is new language to me, there parts that was hard to understand. I gave it 3 stars out of 5. 

And the last one this month was the second book of "War and Peace". It's a continuation of the first one and I liked it just as much. I gave it 4 stars out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment