Saturday 15 August 2015

Bout of books 14 readathon

It is that time of the year again. Time for bout of books readathon which will last from August 17 until August 22. And I'm definitely participating in it :) I don't know if I will be able to do all the challenges (because there will be some), that creators of this readathon organized, but... I will try to reach my own goals:


a) I'll try to accomplish 4 parts of my yearly       reading challenge, by reading 4 particular books.

b) I will try to read as much as possible and also have fun by doing that, because that is the main point of Bout of books readathon. 

c) Everyday I will try to do an update about my reading progress and maybe do some creative challenges here.  


I'm planning to start my reading week, with accomplishing "read a Pulitzer- prize winning book" challenge. For that one I chose to read: 

Title: The Old man and the sea
Author:Ernest Hemingway
Pages: 95
Cover: Paperback
Published: 2007 by Žaltvykslė
Edition language: lithuanian

This is one of Hemingway's most enduring works. Told in language of great simplicity and power, it is the story of an old Cuban fisherman, down on his luck, and his supreme ordeal - a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream.
Here Hemingway recasts, in strikingly contemporary style, the classic theme of courage in the face of defeat, of personal triumph won from loss.

Hemingway's story will take only few hours to read maximum, because it is so short. That's why on the same day I'm thinking to start another book, which will fit to "read a popular author's first book" challenge:
Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Pages: 272
Cover: Paperback
Published: 2013 by HarperCollins Publishers
Edition language: english 

Miles Halter's whole life has been one big non - event, until he meets Alaska Young. 
Gorgeous, clever and undoubtedly screwed up. Alaska draws Miles into her reckless world and irrevocably steals his heart. For Miles, nothing can ever be the same again.

I don't expect to get much from this book, but at least it will help my brains to relax between reading classic books that I've chosen this week. And that bring us to another reading challenges " a book your dad or mum loves" and "a book with antonyms in the title": 

Title: War and Peace
Author: Leo Tolstoy
Pages (book 1): 480
Pages (book 2): 480
Cover: Hardcover
Published: 2010 by Obuolys
Edition language: lithuanian

Tolstoy's epic masterpiece intertwines the lives of private and public individuals during the time of the Napoleonic wars and the French invasion of Russia. The fortunes of the Rostovs and the Bolkonskys, of Pierre, Natasha, and Andrei, are intimately connected with the national history that is played out in parallel with their lives. Balls and soirees alternate with councils of war and the machinations of statesmen and generals, scenes of violent battles with everyday human passions in a work whose extraordinary imaginative power has never been surpassed.  
The prodigious cast of characters, seem to act and move as if connected by threads of destiny as the novel relentlessly questions ideas of free will, fate, and providence. Yet Tolstoy's portrayal of marital relations and scenes of domesticity is as truthful and poignant as the grand themes that underline them.

And if I read something else I will write it in my updates.

That's it for now...Happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment